Latest post

Image
  I want to raise awareness of a superb, Dementia Care podcast that is readily available here or from wherever you go for your podcasts. Created by the exceptional Lauren Mahakian, each podcast explores the spectrum of dementia and dementia care in practical, down-to-earth terms. The content is made very accessible in a way that will educate and support carers, friends and family, whatever their perspective may be. There’s a back-catalogue of thought provoking editions going back to 2019 which shares knowledge and demonstrates what is possible when you have the dedication and courage to think outside the box.

16 things I want if I get dementia

I discovered an American blog today called Dementia By Day that belongs to a Dementia Care Consultant: Rebecca Wonderlin. I've put a link to her site in my Blogroll and I wanted to share this list she wrote a couple of years ago. It doesn't strictly relate to design but it struck me as being very well worded an straighforward, not to mention very appropriate. I think it speaks well for most of us.

If I get dementia, I’d like my family to hang this wish list up on the wall where I live;

1. If I get dementia, I want my friends and family to embrace my reality. If I think my spouse is still alive, or if I think we’re visiting my parents for dinner, let me believe those things. I’ll be much happier for it.

2. If I get dementia, I don’t want to be treated like a child. Talk to me like the adult that I am.

3. If I get dementia, I still want to enjoy the things that I’ve always enjoyed. Help me find a way to exercise, read, and visit with friends.

4. If I get dementia, ask me to tell you a story from my past.

5. If I get dementia, and I become agitated, take the time to figure out what is bothering me.

6. If I get dementia, treat me the way that you would want to be treated.

7. If I get dementia, make sure that there are plenty of snacks for me in the house. Even now if I don’t eat I get angry, and if I have dementia, I may have trouble explaining what I need.

8. If I get dementia, don’t talk about me as if I’m not in the room.

9. If I get dementia, don’t feel guilty if you cannot care for me 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. It’s not your fault, and you’ve done your best. Find someone who can help you, or choose a great new place for me to live.

10. If I get dementia, and I live in a dementia care community, please visit me often.

11. If I get dementia, don’t act frustrated if I mix up names, events, or places. Take a deep breath. It’s not my fault.

12. If I get dementia, make sure I always have my favorite music playing within earshot.

13. If I get dementia, and I like to pick up items and carry them around, help me return those items to their original places.

14. If I get dementia, don’t exclude me from parties and family gatherings.

15. If I get dementia, know that I still like receiving hugs or handshakes.

16. If I get dementia, remember that I am still the person you know and love.

Comments