Latest post

Image
  I want to raise awareness of a superb, Dementia Care podcast that is readily available here or from wherever you go for your podcasts. Created by the exceptional Lauren Mahakian, each podcast explores the spectrum of dementia and dementia care in practical, down-to-earth terms. The content is made very accessible in a way that will educate and support carers, friends and family, whatever their perspective may be. There’s a back-catalogue of thought provoking editions going back to 2019 which shares knowledge and demonstrates what is possible when you have the dedication and courage to think outside the box.

It started with a lot of thinking..


Photo by Jcomp

How on earth did I get here?


Something we all ask ourselves in a reflective moment, and whilst we’re currently in the Virus lockdown scenario there’s probably quite a lot of reflecting going on.
I certainly know how my involvement with dementia design came, about but I didn’t understand how involved I was until I’d been involved for a while! Probably doesn’t make much sense but allow me to explain. 

Early 2007, my company was Bupa’s nominated signage provider and a chap called Steve Bradshaw posed the question ‘can you design bedroom signs for our residents with dementia?’  Steve was an estates manager with Bupa and I’d worked with Steve for a couple of years at this point.

As a supplier of graphic display products to a number national retailers we were accustomed to unusual requests. To keep clients happy at this level it was always a case of: ‘the answer’s yes, what’s the question?’ So the answer was always going to be ‘yes’ before Steve even tabled the challenge.
The trouble was, whilst I had expertise in my industry, this was a bit left-field, even for us! And believe me, we’d done some way-out things over the years!

I briefed my graphic designer on the project but he couldn’t get a grip on it and the brief was a bit wishy washy to be fair. It was a case of the blind leading the blind and neither of us knew what we were looking for anyway. So I took up the challenge myself, determined to find out what someone with ‘Dementure’ would need to make a sign design work from them.

I really did spell Dementia that way at our first design meeting, I had absolutely no knowledge at all at this point. Lucky I can be a fast learner when I need to be!
In hindsight, it was really useful to start from the point of knowing absolutely nothing, because as I later found out, there were so many misconceptions and lack of consensus around good dementia design. So I was lucky not to have been influenced in any way as I doubt I would have made any progress.

I took a few days away from the office and went off-grid with a pile of books, documents I’d downloaded from t’internet (that’s Yorkshire for Broadband) a lap-top, pad and pencils. When I returned from the wilderness I was confident I had a grasp of the common issues that would influence perception and interpretation of visual information. I also had some spec’s and doodles and things were well on their way.

I could have stuck the doodles on the fridge and pretended my grandchild had done them. Instead I gave them to my artworker and we soon had a product.
I really hadn’t the vaguest idea that this was anything other than a nice job for Bupa, so when I’d spent a few hours with Ricky Pollock up at Stirling, I sat in the car park for a little while in a state of shock. The whole thing didn’t compute, but just as before, I was glad I had come into this ‘blind’ and focussed entirely on the task without any distractions.

Over the coming months and years my brief sabbatical forged the basis of a clear design framework that has relevance to almost any type of visual-aid that’s intended for use in a dementia-specific care environment and I’m proud of that.

Fast forward from November 2007 when I launched the sign designs at the Dementia Congress in Harrogate, to today when my design concept has been copied and used all over the world and only the quality of production and materials varies depending on whose ‘version’ of the design you’re looking at.

By way of brief personal aside: in some ways it’s gratifying when one’s designs are widely adopted and signage which has its roots in my original design spec’ is prescribed by authorities all over the world. But I recently heard a quote which, struck a familiar chord, by the broadly unpleasant 19th century polymath Alexander von Humboldt, who described the three stages of scientific discovery as such: “First, people deny it’s true, then they deny it’s important, and finally they credit the wrong person.” In my experience, this is exactly what happens with innovative design too.
  
On the journey to ‘here’ the signage was only the start as it spawned a raft of products based on the same design principles and driven by client needs. This continued for nearly a decade and all the time I was learning learning learning. It became a very positive obsession because I had stumbled into a position of being able to do something that was really helpful. It mattered. A lot!

Two really significant things I learnt that in that period are right at the heart of my thinking today. One was understanding what Reminiscence really is and what it means.  The second was understanding colour contrast and how it can be used. I remember getting very excited about Reminiscence – I really had a massive light-bulb moment, though it has taken years to figure out how I can use my skills to really tap into it and make it a powerful resource for peoples well-being. My new understanding of colour made me realise we had to re-design our product portfolio because we could make it both more appealing and more effective.

Eventually I realised I was looking at an approach to dementia-specific design that needs to be applied across the dementia care environment as a whole. The more I processed these ideas, the more I was realising the how influential a change in the approach to design can change how an entire care home unit functions. Not just from the well-being perspective of the residents, but everything from how it connects with the community to its sustainability as a profitable enterprise.

I resigned from my own company and to set about changing the world with the gospel of St Pete. But for all my conviction, proving how much better care homes can be by changing the content of the environment is a bloody hard sell. My ideal client is someone who has a budget, has already come to these conclusions and is just searching to find someone able to deliver the goods. More likely though, finding people to work with is a hard slog requiring a lot of ‘convincing’ and then hinges on whether they are prepared to take a leap-of-faith. But this is how it was in 2007 when I was frequently asked ‘where’s your evidence’ which I didn’t have of course. But there were enough early adopters who helped put some wind in the product’s sails and tada! The rest is history as they say.   

Tom Kitwood understood the influence environment brings to bear on  personhood and encapsulates it in this quote: “the environment has as much effect on the brain as the brain has on a person’s abilities”.  
I’ve disrupted the industry before with signage, red toilet seats, Memory Boxes and Door-cals. Now I want to change care home environments so they’re no longer unstimulating places to be afraid of and become reassuring, interesting and relevant to the populous of the home.

Basic elements of safe and effective design for dementia

If you’ve skipped to this but I don’t blame you and forgive me for not getting here sooner; these are the 7 basic dementia-specific design considerations I’ve used as the basis of everything I’ve produced since 2007:
  • Colour
  • Images
  • Shape
  • Material
  • Text
  • Contrast
  • Durability

More recently I’ve added an eighth element which pulls all the others together: common sense.
Below are the aspects within a care home where the design principles should be applied.
  • Colour schemes
  • Themes
  • Way-finding
  • Personalisation
  • Destinations / Places of Interest
  • Lighting
  • Toilets and Bathrooms 

By applying the design principles to these aspects it’s entirely possible to achieve benign but life-changing improvements and positively affect every aspect of how effectively a care home functions.

Now I’m here….

Over the coming weeks and months I intend to share my thoughts and, I hope, the thoughts of others too, to generate more conversation and thinking about how neglected-yet-important the environment is. I’d also hope to widen the conversations about dementia and design and see if we can spawn some creative and productive thinking and some useful outcomes.
Please subscribe and I’ll be so grateful for thoughts shared, even if you think I’m speaking total tosh – I love a challenge 😊.

Comments